Wednesday, August 25, 2010

am i still in texas?

the high today is 88 degrees and right now it's only 73!!! IT'S AMAZING! thank you, jesus!!! i feel like i have talked more about the weather this summer than any other time, but i guess it has been a bigger deal to me now that i'm pregnant. (someone outside our apartment is VERY happy about the weather, too. i hear them whistling!)

so another funny "pregnancy brain" moment. yesterday i asked matt if he would please get me some more rice and he brought me water. silly. haha

yesterday i had a good friend call, well she was one of my mentor teachers during student teaching, and she is pregnant, too... i may have mentioned that somewhere earlier in the blog. anyway, she won't be teaching after she has her baby, and right now she is subbing for another teacher on maternity leave. well she has 31 kids and they need someone to sub for 2-4 weeks till they find a second teacher, so she asked if i wanted to do it. of course i WANT to, but i can hardly make dinner without wanting to die, so i had to turn it down. (plus they will obviously be looking for a new teacher now and i'd have a pretty dang good chance at getting that job.) it was VERY hard to turn down. i love teaching so much, but we decided i would stay home with jonah. there are a few reasons: 1) i can always go back to teaching, even if it's difficult to start again. it will be impossible to get the baby years back with jonah. 2) if i think about which decision i would regret more (if it came down to regrets), i know i would regret going back to work more than staying home with our son. 3) with daycare, spending money on my first year of teaching, etc, the small amount of money i would end up bringing home just isn't worth being away from our baby.

i cried most of the morning about it, because although it is a blessing to be able to stay home, i am also giving up something that i love. thankfully, though, that afternoon i got a few books in the mail, one being "love and logic magic for early childhood". in case you don't know about love and logic, it's a way of discipline that puts more responsibility on the child for their choices and takes stress off the parent. i've used it in the classroom and when i nannied and it's so wonderful. i was especially excited when i found a love and logic book that can be used for babies through six-year-olds! anyway, reading the book just reminded me that although i won't be shaping the minds of kids in a classroom, i will have someone here that i'll be raising! all of this just made me want to meet jonah even more.

31 weeks

2 comments:

KristenB said...

AMEN sister. =) I know exactly how you feel about staying home. A bigger part of me was starting to wish I was still teaching, but then I visited the school yesterday. haha It was awesome seeing my teacher friends but seeing some of the kids wasn't as exciting as I had expected. I know I made the right choice. And you are right about day care. I won't miss the long drive (TOLL booths!). I'm glad I am home with him and I get to see him changing every day. Even though there are days like today where he fights sleep and is so fussy and annoying. haha I still love him to pieces.

Jill said...

Hey! Glad you're still alive after all that heat.

Just a quick note to burst your bubble that you still have to take Tylenol while breastfeeding - no Ibuprofen yet!! It's definitely nice to get your body back though, and that greater range of motion - oh my!! Freedom!!