Sunday, August 22, 2010

rant

there are good things to say to an expecting couple, and there are bad things to say to an expecting couple. anything positive, of course, is always good. matt had a coworker say, “you’re not going to sleep much and your house will be a mess, but you won’t care because you are just going to want to be with and look at your baby all the time.” we have had a couple of friends that just became dads that tell us how much they love being a dad and holding their children. and then of course the support of people expressing their sincere excitement and happiness about the fact that you are going to be parents is awesome. positive comments are so wonderful and really help ease some of the complete freaking out that goes on throughout the pregnancy.

here’s a list of some things that you should NEVER say to a pregnant woman, unless you really do want to make her cry. (these things may or may not have been said to me.)

-I’m not jealous of you at all.
-are you sure you want to eat that?
-calm down.
-I don’t know why you’re getting so mad.
-tell your hormones to leave me alone.
-your face looks swollen.
-you’re definitely looking pregnant. I see it in your arms.
-you’re just carrying your baby all over!
-you know that an epidural will hurt, right?
-are you sure there isn’t another baby hiding in there?
-it’ll take a long time to lose the baby weight.
-your belly button is hilarious! it looks like a penis!

people don’t talk much about the positive things people say. there are many, many articles and chapters of books, though, that discuss inappropriate sayings and what to do in those situations. I guess because no one can believe that would come out of someone’s mouth. but really all of those people that would say those things just make the positive, supportive people in your life mean that much more to you. 

2 comments:

KristenB said...

Oh my goodness. Some of those are just too bizarre to be made up. I'm sorry lady!

Ok....the epidural is fine. It's just a lot of pressure. You'll LOVE how you feel after the meds go in. =)

I always hate being told to calm down...even when I'm not pregnant.

Natalie said...

ignore this comment... i'm trying something